Tuesday, June 26, 2012

How would Tehran respond to a strike on its nuclear program? #irannuclear #jcot

After an Israeli Strike on Iran :: Daniel Pipes


http://www.danielpipes.org/11528/israeli-strike-on-iran

...”Michael Eisenstadt and Michael Knights of the Washington Institute for Near Eastern Policy,.... provide an excellent guide to possible scenarios in "Beyond Worst -Case Analysis: Iran's Likely Responses to an Israeli Preventive Strike."...

RRD:I am less sanguine than Pipes and Eisenstadt,and Knights.However I am less sanguine for precisely the same reason that would lead me to support a strike on Tehran's nuclear facilities as a last resort:I think that deterrence will not work.
That said,Pipes is correct when he notes the peculiar ”reasoning” of some who argue that Israel & the U.S. can ”live with” a nuclear armed Tehran:A Tehran with a nuclear bomb is deterrable,a Tehran without one will go berserk if struck.
Why the supposedly "rational” & ”non-nuclear seeking" Mullahs would wage a all out war over their being denied a ”peaceful” nuclear program is never adequately explained.There are no good options here.Only different levels & types of dangers.
A note:In case the above was unclear,I believe a military strike may be necessary as a LAST RESORT,should efforts at sabotage fail.Let me add that I am speaking of a military strike on Tehran's nuclear facilities,NOT a ground invasion,which I oppose.

Posted via email from Americans for Freedom in Iran

No comments: